Technical Support Agencies

Appropriate Technology Transfer to Rural Areas

(ATTRA) is a project of the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT). The website includes sustainable agriculture and organic farming news, events, publications and funding opportunities. ATTRA has published an excellent Drought Resource Guide, which covers soil management, pasture and rangeland management, irrigation, and water management. ATTRA also offers a toll-free hotline for sustainable agricultural advise- call 1-800-346-9140 for English-language or 1-800-411-3222 for Spanish-language advise from an expert.

California Irrigation Management Information System (CIMIS)

CIMIS is a program in the Office of Water Use Efficiency (OWUE), California Department of Water Resources (DWR) that manages a network of over 120 automated weather stations in the state of California. Weather data from these stations is free and available online, can be used to schedule irrigations. The website also provides Resources on irrigation management and Evapotranspiration equations.

California Institute for Water Resources (CIWR)

CIWR is an institute that integrates California’s research, extension, and education programs to find solutions for water resource challenges. The website provides programs as well as tools and resources.

Fresno State’s Center for Irrigation Technology

(CIT) develops best practices to manage agricultural water use and crop water use efficiency. Their APEP program is an on-farm pump efficiency program funded by PG&E. Through APEP, CIT provides agricultural producers with on-farm assessments of their irrigation pumps to reduce water and energy use, as well as educational seminars and technical assistance. CIT also developed Wateright , an online tool for growers and homeowners to schedule irrigation events.

NRCS California

USDA Service Centers are designed to be a single location where customers can access the services provided by the Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Rural Development agencies. This web site will provide the address of a USDA Service Center and other Agency offices serving your area along with information on how to contact them. You may also access the helpful NRCS Technical Guide of practices (as well as natural resources data and planning tools) tailored to your location.

Resource Conservation Districts

RCD offices around California were set up to administer needs of local people for pest control, fire fighting, water distribution, and a host of other services. Several RCDs partner with landowners to enhance water management.

The CalPoly Irrigation Training and Research Center

The CalPoly Irrigation Training and Research Center provides programmatic irrigation training and technical expertise to industry, farmers, irrigation districts and state/federal agencies for system management either on-farm or agency delivery systems.

UC Cooperative Extension

County-based Cooperative Extension offices are local problem-solving centers. Farm advisors, who are University of California employees, and professional staff work to bring science-based information to bear on local problems in their counties. Many farm advisors across the state work with farmers to develop and test crop-specific irrigation methods and smart water-use strategies. Here is a list of UC Water Experts.

US Bureau of Reclamation WaterSMART Program

Focused on improving water conservation and helping water and resource managers make wise decisions about water use, Reclamation’s portion of the WaterSMART program is achieved through administration of grants, scientific studies, technical assistance, and scientific expertise.